There are two cut off chimney stacks, the one on the left would have heated the first floor hall and the one on the right serviced the kitchen. The arched window in the middle was moved from the north wall and replaced the chimney. You can see the arched remains of the original front entrance which led to a central cross passage. To the right was the kitchen and above it the buttery. In the Middle Ages, a buttery was a store room for liquor, the name being derived from the Latin and French words for bottle or, to put the word into its simpler form, a butt, that is, a cask. A butler, before he became able to take charge of the ewery, pantry, cellar, and the staff, would be in charge of the buttery. To the left of the passage would have been store rooms. To the right of the kitchen chimney was a spiral staircase leading to the 1st floor. The Southern and East wings were built by George John Cree in the 1890’s. At this time the spiral staircase was replaced with a more modern staircase on the eastern side of the building, the cross passage blocked and main entrance moved into the South wing. The roof was thatched which burned off in 1890.
It is possible to see the faint traces of where the middle arched window used to be. Possibly the reason for moving it was to install a chimney that serviced the first floor hall. The East wing was built on what would have been the medieval solar wing where the senior members of the family had their private quarters and the rest of the family would have bedded down in the main hall.
Eastern elevation and courtyard:
The house would have originally had a U-shaped courtyard on the eastern side which contained buildings such as a brewery. The bricks for the house were manufactured in a brick kiln situated a field away to the south east of the house which went on to be a commercial enterprise providing local buildings with brick for a time. You can see the archway that would have been the entrance to the first floor hall accessed via a wooden external staircase. The ceilings of the ground and first floors were raised in the 1890’s, and you can see the evidence of this in the old entrance to the first floor hall. The arched window underneath would have been the exit of the central cross passage. Up until around 1900 the southern outbuilding was used as a coach house and stables, and the northern building for other animals and tools.
The old kitchen:
The arch in the middle of the west wall was the location of the original cooker and chimney. The fireplace on the north wall was installed in the 18th century. Behind the north wall is where the original cross passage ran. Prior to 1890 the original ceiling height would have been about 1 metre lower than at present.
Pistol belonging to John Cree and his sabre which has the George 3rd imprint on the blade.
Miniatures of the Stickland family into which John Cree junior married.
The stained glass window on staricase shows the Cree family Coat of Arms. The trading ship is sailing between the sun in the east and west.